Today is the day that the K-PREP scores become public. Individual students will receive their scores in the mail near the end of October.
I am proud of the hard work that the students and staff have put in.
We made gains in three of five assessed areas:
- Social Studies scores improved 18.9 points (among the highest improvements in JCPS!)
- Writing scores improved 4.4 points
- Math scores improved .6 of a point
Unfortunately our scores decreased in Reading by .8 of a point and in Language Mechanics by 9 points.
Our big goal as a school is to attain our “Annual Measurable Objective” or AMO and we did not make that goal for this testing cycle. We have set in place a plan to attain our AMO for the new testing cycle:
- We have already started Extended School Services for 4th and 5th grade students.
- We have increased the partnerships with community tutoring providers, and are working hard to pair students with tutors.
- We will be taking the MAP assessment, which is a high-quality diagnostic assessment. This will give teachers and parent very good information about specific skills to focus on. It will be given three times this year.
- Our 4th and 5th grades have adopted a new reading series; our whole school now uses the high quality “Journeys” series. We have also aligned our math series to better meet our school wide needs.
- We have created new staff positions for a second Reading Recovery teacher, as well as an ESL Coach who will each be very focused on specific academic goals.
We are a school that believes in continuous improvement. We will celebrate the individual students who made gains withe a school wide assembly in late October, and at this time next year will be celebrating as a school when we make our AMO for 2016-17.